Testosterone is an essential hormone responsible for several overall health benefits, many of which are often overlooked. Most of us look at high levels of testosterone as a way to “get big” in the gym, but this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the benefits of testosterone. Increased muscle and bone mass, higher sex drive, increased memory and cognitive function, and an overall boost in mood and quality of life are all associated with high levels of testosterone. The obsession with looking better, performing better, and instant gratification can lead some to seek out synthetic means of boosting testosterone which comes at a very high cost. Below is a list of 5 ways we can boost our testosterone naturally.
General health and optimization of the human body becomes a major focal point in men who decide to walk down the path of recovery from drug and alcohol addiction. By having the proper knowledge and understanding of how testosterone levels are affected by everyday life, we are able to make a significant difference in our performance while maintaining our general health. Here is a list of 5 ways to naturally boost your testosterone:
- There are a number of foods that aid in the production of natural testosterone, some of these foods include nuts, whole grains, fruits, healthy fats such as extra virgin olive oil and avocados, garlic, beans, beef, salmon, mushrooms, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. These foods include essential testosterone boosting vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, vitamin D, and zinc.
2. REDUCING STRESS:
- Stress is caused by a flood of the hormone called cortisol. Cortisol is known to damage the immune system, decrease bone density, and it’s production is triggered by our sympathetic nervous system. Cortisol is a testosterone killer! So kick your feet up, relax, and reduce your stress levels.
3. DECREASE BODY FAT:
- Testosterone is converted into estrogen within fatty tissue. Higher percentage of body fat equals a higher conversion rate. On the other hand, becoming too lean will also halt the production of testosterone! Somewhere between 10 and 20 percent seems to be the sweet spot.
4. BETTER SLEEPING HABITS:
- This doesn’t necessarily mean getting MORE sleep, although somewhere between 7-9 hours is ideal. Increasing the quality of sleep is equally important. Developing a healthy nighttime routine, sticking to a regular sleep schedule, and exercising on a daily basis will ensure deeper, more quality rest!
5. REGULAR EXERCISE:
- Any type of exercise counts! Resistance training and endurance training has a slightly lesser effect on testosterone levels, whereas lifting weights and other strength training workouts have a larger effect. Either way, get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day to help naturally boost your testosterone!
Understanding that there are natural ways to boost testosterone can help you achieve your ideal physical goals as well as limit temptations to artificially alter your body’s natural hormone levels. Being in shape will increase self esteem, confidence, and overall wellbeing, and by utilizing the tips listed above you can help you become a stronger, healthier version of yourself. So get out there, develop a healthy routine, and conquer every day with a smile on your face!
“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
Tree House Recovery is a men’s treatment program located in Portland, Oregon. Creating sustainable recovery through sustainable change, our programs help men learn how to live sober with adventurous lives. Call us today for information: (855) 969-5181